About us

Twenty + Six is a couples blog. She is Georgina Marmoy, he is Joshua Smith. We began this blog as a starting point to help us raise money for NACC as the charity helps people who suffer from illnesses which we both have.

We are currently travelling around South America, documenting our stories and snaps for your viewing pleasure!

Monday 3 March 2014

Houston, the eagle has landed

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Well we are here! After a 21 hour day of travelling we have finally arrived in South America. Our journey began at 4am on Saturday morning as, blurry eyed, we made our way to Heathrow airport where we loaded full rucksacks on to our backs for the first time. Two steps later and Georgie was on the floor, tripping over a shoelace and struggling to find her balance with the weight she was now carrying. I guess you were right Mum, people do trip on shoelaces. Luckily she was okay and we were soon aboard our first flight to Madrid, where, after a quick bite to eat and a stock up of snacks and drinks we were off to Rio.

Now I'm not what you may call the most confident of flyers, I dislike take off and landing and every so often I become a bit over awed by just how high up we are when in the air. So when some bright spark decide to go in to the toilet on our flight and light up a cigarette, setting off the on-board fire alarm and sending our air stewards in to a frenzy, I have to admit I almost soiled myself. Only the knowledge that the one place I could clean myself up and find solace should my bowls inextricably open was currently engulfed in smoke and at the centre of such a scene helped me keep my composure.
"You're loving the drama of this aren't you?!" Georgia said, turning towards me as I watched.
"...Yeah..." I stammered whilst wondering if we were all about to burst in to flames at 38,000 feet in the air. In the end calm was restored and I went back to my movie.
After a few hours we landed in Rio! After finding our way to our apartment for the next two weeks we passed out with exhaustion.
Day 2 was spent on the Copacabana beach before we headed to the Sambadrome to watch the carnival procession. We're currently battling our technology to figure a way to get pictures on here and I will struggle to do justice to how good the event was, but it was incredible. The floats and costumes were SO extravagant. My only regret is that, still struggling with jetlag and exhaustion, we couldn't stay and party until the end. I guess we have an excuse to come back another year there though!

We've just got back from spending another day at the beach and I can hear the drumming of carnival through the window. Who knows what tonight will bring.

To loved ones
We are safe. We are well fed and are looking after each other. We have a good Wi-Fi connection at our apartment so shall write again soon (and hopefully figure a way to put some pictures up!)

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that you are safe and having a great time. The carnival sounds stunning and I am so glad you are spending some time on the beach, preparing for your busy few months. Much love from over the ocean. Leanne xxxx

    ReplyDelete